Tribhuwan University

Office of Planning Directorate

Planning Division has been upgraded to Planning Directorate and Executive Director heads the Directorate. Planning Directorate is also the Secretariat of Tribhuvan University Planning Council. The council consists of 29 members including the representatives from National Planning Commission, Ministry of Finance, and Ministry of Education, Science and Technology where the Vice Chancellor, Rector and Registrar of Tribhuvan University serve as chair, vice-chair and member respectively and the Executive Director of Planning serve as member-secretary. Generally, the Planning Council meets once a year to discuss and approve the annual budget and programs of Tribhuvan University. The budget  and programs need to get approval from the council before sending it to Tribhuvan University Senate. Planning Directorate performs preparing short and long terms plans, developing annual programs, and evaluating implementations of the programs. The responsibilities of the Planning Directorate include:

  • To prepare development plans, programs and financial resources for Tribhuvan University including institutes, faculties, research centers and campuses

  • To prepare progress report of development projects implemented by Tribhuvan University  

  • To finalize the programs and development budget of Tribhuvan University including institutes, faculties, research centers and campuses   

  • To keep close link with the University Grants Commission for implementing plans and policy of Tribhuvan university 

  • To seek support from international communities and also to keep close relation with the Government of Nepal Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, National Planning Commission and other national and international organizations for seeking necessary support and funding

  • To work as per the directives of the Vice-Chancellor of Tribhuvan University

 

Academic Programs

Tribhuvan University offers undergraduate (certificate and Bachelor) and graduate (Master, M. Phil, & PhD) programs through five technical institutes, and four faculties. As per the policy, proficiency certificate level course has already been phased out from TU except in the Institute of Medicine. The institute offers certificate level course in nursing. A large number of diverse undergraduate (Bachelor) and graduate programs are being offered by different institutes, faculties, graduate schools, central departments, and constituent campuses, and affiliated colleges. There are 58 undergraduate and 249 graduate programs in TU. 

Table 1 Number of campuses/colleges by province

Province

Number of campus/colleges

Total 

Constituent

Affiliated*

One 

12 

147 

159 

Two 

95 

100 

Three 

25 

440 

465 

Gandaki

119 

126 

Five 

147 

154

Karnali

39 

41 

Sdudur pashchim  

74 

77 

Total

61 

1,061 

1,122 

*24 affiliated colleges transferred from TU to other universities  

There is a large coverage of TU campus/college in the nation. The colleges are spread over in 76 districts of seven provinces. The highest number of college (41%) is located in province three including both constituent and affiliated colleges. The second largest number of college is located in province one. The number of college is nearly seven and five times lower in the province six and seven, respectively than the province three (table 1).

 

Student Enrolment 

A total of 392,400 students is enrolled under TU in the academic year of 2074/075 and out of them over one-half (53%) of the students is female. When we assessed the female students by faculty, the highest number of female students is in faculty of education i.e., 67 per cent of enrolled students.  in faculty of education. Similarly, the highest number of female students is in institute of medicine (60% of enrolled students). 

There is a slight increment (7%) in the student number comparing to last academic year (2073/074). Over four-fifth (81%) of the student enrolled in TU is at undergraduate level and the remaining (19%) is at graduate level. Similarly, 87 per cent of the enrolled students found to be non-technical education and the remaining (13%) is in technical education.  

Table 2 Number of students in different faculty/institute by gender

Institute

/Faculty

Constituent Campus 

Affiliated College

Total Male

Total Female

Grand Total

Male

Female

Male

Female

IOE

5500

578

6347

1161

11847

1739

13586

IOAAS

761

477

371

356

1132

833

1965

IOM

357

1109

1642

1926

1999

3035

5034

IOF

891

474

230

233

1121

707

1828

IOST

13821

7314

3633

2799

17454

10113

27567

FOL

6265

2859

383

288

6648

3147

9795

FOM

21889

20385

56886

78377

78775

98762

177537

FOE

9628

13787

15830

37747

25458

51534

76992

FOHSS

21362

19056

19676

18002

41038

37058

78096

Total

80474

66039

104998

140889

185472

206928

392400

Table 2 shows that the majority of the students (45%) is enrolled under the faculty of management, followed by faculty of humanities and social sciences (20%), faculty of education (19%) and so on. When we compared within the faculty and institute, it appears that the lowest number of students is in the faculty of law and institute of forestry (table 2). 

 

Student Enrollment Trend at Constituent Campus

Figure 1 shows the student enrollment trend in the constituent campus for the last six years (the academic year of 2070/071 – 2074/075). It demonstrates ups and downs in the students’ enrollment. The number of students found to be decreased 30 per cent and 3 per cent in the academic year of 2071/072 and 2073/074, respectively whereas the figure increased by 37 per cent in the academic year of 2072/073. Similarly, the number has gone up by six per cent in the constituent campus in the academic year of 2074/075 comparing to last academic year. 

 

 

Prof. Ridish K. Pokharel, PhD

Executive Director 

Planning Directorate Office Tribhuvan University

Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal 

Phone : 4330437; 4330421

Fax : 4331964

E-mail: planning@tribhuvan-university.edu.np