The Research Centre for Applied Science and Technology (RECAST) was established on September 8, 1977 as a premier Research and Development (R & D) institution within the organizational framework of Tribhuvan University. RECAST functioned as a secretariat to the National Council of Science and Technology, Government of Nepal till 1999. It is designated as a national focal point of Asia-Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology (APCTT) of the UNESCAP. The Centre is headed by the Executive Director.
The goal of the Centre is to contribute to rapid and sustainable development of the country through enhanced R &D with the optimum utilization of natural resources, improvement and dissemination of socio-economically relevant and environmentally sustainable technologies to the communities and the institutions concerned.
The objectives of RECAST are:
- to undertake research for the identification, development, conservation, utilization and dissemination of indigenous technology;
- to search and identify exogenous technologies appropriate to Nepal and explore their prospects for technology transfer and adaptation; and
- to conduct research in basic and applied sciences.
- Renewable Energy
- Natural Products Utilization
- Low cost Building Materials
- Small scale Food Processing
- Appropriate Technology
- Ecosystem Services and biodiversity conservation, and
- Life Science
At present RECAST has a total number of 73 staff of which 21 are researchers and 52 are administrative staff ( including all technical and non-technical utility staff). The research have high academic and professional capabilities with expertise in the field of Renewable Energy Technologies, Natural Product Chemistry, Agricultural Biotechnology, Biodiversity Conservation, Environmental Management, Food Technology and Technology Transfer and Utilization.
Workshop and Laboratories :
As a premier R & D institution, RECAST has got the following laboratories:
- Chemical and Instrumentation Lab,
- Building Materials Testing Laboratory,
- Natural Dyes and Dyeing Laboratory,
- Fiber Testing Laboratory,
- Food Technology Laboratory;
- Biotechnology Laboratory,
- Renewable energy Laboratory,
- Mechanical workshop equipped with Lathe, Milling,Grilling, Welding, Cutting and other machines capable to fabricate the design works.
RECAST conducts research projects, designs and fabricates prototypes, offers expertise and consultancy services including instrumental and analytical services.It organizes national and international workshops/ seminars and training on its own and in collaboration with donor agencies and other institutions. RECAST provides its laboratory facilities and technical supervission for conducting research to Ph.D and Masters students mainly from the Central Departments under the Institution of Science and Technology(loST),TU.
The Documentation Unit provides services mainly to the RECAT researchers.It also responds to external request from other science and technology related institutes, students as well as university faculties.Recently,with the generous support from APCTT/UNESCAP,RECAST has established Web based Nepal National Innovation System (NIS) Resource Centre at the Documentation Unit.
Major R & D Activities
RECAST has been conducting research and development activities on the following areas;
- Fabrication and Testing of Biomass Gasification for Rural Electrification funded by University Gant Commission (UGC),
- Action Research on Rocket Dryer Technology for Cardamom supported by the Netherlands Development Cooperation SNV/Nepal.
- Exploration and Utilization of the Indigenous Renewable Oil resources in Nepal funded by University College Northampton U.K, Oxford Brookes University, U.K, British Council, British Embassy.
- Bio-prospecting of Enthno-medicinal plants of Nepal for Conservation of Biological and Cultural Resources supported by Volkes Wagen Foundation, Germany.
- Development of Gassifier Stove for domestic use.
- Dissemination of Indigenous and Traditional Rural Technologies for Micro-Enterprise Development in Nepal.
- Development of standard testing protocols for improved cooking stoves.
- Studies on high altitude natural resources (Seabuckthorn) for economic development of remote areas of Nepal.
- Technology development for natural product utilization.
- Application of Science and Technology for Development funded by UNFSSTD/UNDP
- Development of building materials for low cost housing.
- Research and development of traditional water mill.
- Renewable Energy Technologies in Asia: A Regional Research and Dissemination Programme funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) through Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand.
- A Study on Dye Yielding Plants of Nepal.
- Chemical and Biological Investigation of Nepalese medicinal plants for hypoglycemic (antidiabetic) activity.
- Knowledge dissemination of Rocket Dryer Technology for cardamom at national level supported by the Netherland Development Cooperation SNV/Nepal.
RECAST has international linkages with Asian Institute of Technology(AIT),Bangkok, Swedish International Development Co-operation Agency (SIDA), FAO / Regional Wood Energy Development Programme (RWEDP), Bangkok, Asia Regional Cook stove Programme (ARECOP), Yogyakarta, Indonesia, JICA,/JOCV,Japan, The British Counil,World Wildlife Fund, Nepal. RECAST is the focal point of Asia and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology (APCTT/ESCAP), New Delhi and UNESCO/ASTINFO the regional officer Bangkok.It has also scientific collaboration with University College Northampton and Oxford Brookes University, U.K.,ITR, Swizerland and Karlsruhe University,Germany. RECAST has recently signed an academic collaboration with University of Hamburg and Unversity of Tubingen,Germany for conducting studies on the effects of climate change in tree-time line in the Rolwaling Range in Nepal Himalaya.
An Honor for Prioneering Action
The Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC), under the Ministry of Scinece, Technology and Environment Paid and Honor to RECAST, on 18th July, 2012 for its invaluable contribution for the innovative designs of Improved Cooking Stove (ICS) which are produced by locally avilable materials and labor. The built-on site designs developed by RECAST were a major breakthrough in this course and made access to thousands of remote rural kitchens possible.Most of the ICS models being promoted by Binomass Energy Support Programme under AEPC are in fact guided by the early designs deveoped by RECAST.RECAT expresses its gratefulness to AEPC and the Ministry of, Science, Technology and Environment, Government of Nepal for this honor.
RECAST sincerely requests to establish strategic partnership with national and international academic institutions, government, private sectors, and community based organizations to address the country’s socio-enconomic, cultural and environmental issues and enhance R & D for Green and Prosperous Nepal.
Phone : (977-1) 4330348 (Off)984123652 (Cell)
Fax : (977-1) 4331303
Email : turecast@ mail.com.np / email@example.com