Faculty of Education aims at producing trained teachers, education specialists, education planners, supervisors, curriculum designers and educational administrators.
The objectives of this faculty are:
To institutionalize teacher development activities in the country;
To produce trained teachers; and
To produce teacher educators, education specialists educational planners, supervisors and education administrators.
It runs two types of academic programs: General Education and Vocational Education. Under General Education, the faculty runs Three Year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.), One Year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) and Two-Year Master in Education (M.Ed.) programmes. Besides, the faculty has been running M.Phil. in Education Programme for the last six years. The Faculty also offers Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education.
English Language Education, Nepali Language Education, Mathematics and Computer Science Education, Science Education, Health and Physical Education, Geography Education, History Education, Economics Education, Political Science Education etc. are common specialization areas for B.Ed. level, whereas Business Education, Industrial Education and Home Science are offered under Vocational Education Specialization in the B.Ed. level. Under General Education, Curriculum and Evaluation, and Education Planning and Management are offered only at the M.Ed. level. Early Childhood Development, Primary Education, and Information and Communication Technology Education are offered only at the Bachelor's level. Special Needs Education is offered only at one Year B.Ed. From the academic Year 2065-66 B.S., a new course on Population Education has been introduced at the M.Ed. level. Besides, One Year Teacher Preparation Course for Non-Ed. PCL and Higher Secondary School Graduates has also been introduced since 2066/067. There are also elective disciplinary areas.
In order to devise, develop and review the academic courses from time to time, there are different Subject Committees under FOE. At present, there are 15 Subject Committees to cater for the academic activities in the concerned areas. These subject committees are:
01. Foundation of Education Subject Committee
02. Curriculum and Evaluation Subject Committee
03. Education Planning and Management, and Non- Formal Education Subject Committee
04. Special Needs Education, Early Childhood Development Education and Primary Education Subject Committee
05. English Language and Foreign Language Subject Committee
06. Nepali Language and National Language Subject Committee
07. Science and Environment Education Subject Committee
08. Mathematics and Computer Science Education Subject Committee
09. Health and Population Education Subject Committee
10. Physical Education Subject Committee
11. Political Science Education Subject Committee
12. Economics Education Subject Committee
13. Geography Education Subject Committee
14. History Education Subject Committee
15. Vocational Education Subject Committee
Recently, ICT awareness program for the faculty members has been introduced at various campuses. The courses of 1 Year B.Ed, 3 year B.Ed. and M.Ed. have been revised. FoE is planning to commerce semester based M.T.Ed. programme through ODL to train 13000 teachers soon. Preparations have already been made and measures have already been taken to pilot 4 year B.T. Ed. programme.